I am a music writer, freelance journalist, artist manager, part-time PR, and MA Journalism graduate from Kingston University with all NCTJ pre-entry qualifications completed (including 100 words per minute shorthand, Essential Media Law, Media Law Court Reporting, News Writing, Video Journalism, and Essential Public Affairs).

This blog is a work-in-progress collection of some of my work. Use the little buttons above or scroll through to 'navigate'.

Email me at jakemay89[at]gmail.com for work and freelance opportunities (or to let me know what your favourite vegetable is).


Thursday 8 July 2010

Frank Turner (Interview/Gig Preview for The Bath Chronicle)

Originally written for The Bath Chronicle and published in July 8th issue.

Top folk-punk troubadour to play Komedia

It would be fair to say that Frank Turner, the 28-year old folk punk wonder, has had a busy few weeks.

Not only did he play a number of shows at Glastonbury, worked with Billy Bragg, and was recently featured on the front cover of Kerrang! magazine, Frank also supported American legends Green Day for their mammoth Wembley show - at the band's personal request no less.

Now the former Million Dead front-man is due to play Bath's Komedia on Wednesday, July 14.

"At moments, I feel a little spaced out," he said.

"Like playing with Green Day and the Kerrang! feature. It was a bit odd going to buy my groceries and the issue of Kerrang! at the same time."

The Bath date has been squeezed in between numerous festival dates, with Latitude Festival, as well as appearances in the US and Canada upcoming, with the Komedia show acting somewhat as a "warm up" to some of these shows.

Not that you would think he would need much warming up, what with what this year has had in store for him thus far.

"I have a few friends in Bath, and we decided to put a show on. A trip to Bath has been long overdue," he said.

Frank last played Bath more than three years ago at Moles, before much of the fame and popularity had swelled to the levels they are at now - though he insists that he still gets nerves before going on stage.

But alcohol is not the answer to clearing away the butterflies, he says.

"I limit myself to two beers before shows now - drunk shows are a thing of the past. I'm trying to act professional in my old age.

"The best way of coping is to remind myself that I not only have lots of practice of live shows, but it's also what I love doing."

Although playing in Bath may be with the slight aim of serving as a warm-up to other dates, the show will be by no means a tame affair.

"It's fantastic to play larger venues, but good shows are more about the atmosphere and the relationship with the crowd, so size doesn't really come into it," he said.

Plus, Frank has been enjoying the non-festival life of late, it seems.

"I went back to stay at friends' houses after playing at Glastonbury. It's nice to be able to wash and eat.

"I've been going to festivals for years now, so I feel I've almost earned the right to not always camp out."

As well as numerous dates in America, and then a winter UK tour, Frank plans to start recording his fourth studio album in January of 2011.

He said: "I've been writing on the road - I don't get much time to do it anywhere else. I almost have too much material at the moment, so it'll be a case of weeding through what I have so far, which is a good thing, in a way."

Doors open at 8pm. Support comes from Fighting Fiction and Ben Marwood. Tickets, priced at Pounds 12, are available from www.komedia.co.uk/bath, or from the box office on 0845 293 8480.

No comments:

Post a Comment